Healthy sleep is important for both physical and mental health, and it can improve productivity and overall quality of life. Everyone, from children to adults, can benefit from practicing good sleep habits. Good sleep hygiene includes:
- Warm bath with 5 CUPS of Epsom salts before bed.
- Go to bed at the same time every night. Wake up at the same time every morning.
- Keep your bedroom very dark and very cool at night.
- No electronic equipment or blinking lights in the bedroom
- Avoid caffeine after 10:00 AM
- Exercise for 30-40 minutes every day before 3:00 PM
- Avoid alcohol within 3 hours of bedtime and always use restraint with alcohol consumption.
- Use yellow shaded glasses in the evening 1 hour before bed. (These are available in the clinic)
- Keep pets out of the bedroom at night.
- Consider Warming Socks treatment before bed – ask at the front desk for a handout.
- Consider Castor Oil Pack treatment – ask at the front desk for a handout.
Dr. Ellen Sauter is a naturopathic physician practicing general family medicine at The Benchmark Clinic of Integrative Medicine in NW Portland. She treats patients on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and can be reached at 503-223-7067.