In stressful or difficult times, meditation can relieve anxiety, promote relaxation, and improve your outlook—but above all, meditation is about waking up to life, to its choices and possibilities. Meditation is often used to clear the mind and ease many health concerns, such as high blood pressure, depression, and anxiety.
This list includes mindfulness resources for the Portland area, online, and via mobile app.*
- Breath by Breath: OHSU Center for Women’s Health offers a mindfulness-based anxiety reduction drop-in class. All sessions are held in conference room 13000A, on the 13th floor of Kohler Pavilion. There is no cost to attend. Classes are every second & fourth Monday from 5:30-6:30p.m. and every third Friday from 9:30-10:30a.m.
- Centerpoint Network LLC offers Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction (MBSR) and yoga classes. The facilitators were trained by Jon Kabat-Zinn.
- MBSR Portland is a guide for the upcoming classes in the Portland area offered by highly trained and experienced mindfulness-based anxiety reduction instructors.
- Pause Meditation is a studio in Portland offering classes on meditation and mindfulness. Their hope is to open doors for people who are interested in exploring, learning and practicing mindful living.
- Pacific Psychology and Comprehensive Health Clinic at Pacific University offers MBSR classes.
- Portland Mindfulness offers mindfulness classes for a fee and guided sittings for values-based donations. The facilitators include licensed psychologists and mental health practitioners.
- Tai Chi & Qi Gong, Beginner’s Guide
Buddhist Affiliated Organizations
- Bright Way Zen offers sittings and day long meditation retreats, located in SW Portland
- Dharma Rain Zen Center meditation sittings, retreats, Buddhist services
- Dharma Punx of Portland offers walk-in meditation sittings and discussions for value-based donations
- KCC Tibetan Buddhist Center meditation sittings, retreats, Buddhist services
- No-Rank Zendo offers sittings and dharma presentations
- Portland Buddhist Priory offers meditation sittings and Buddhist services
- Shambhala Meditation Center of Portland meditation sittings, Buddhist services
- Touching Earth Sangha a Buddhist organization offering meditation retreats and instruction
- Zen Community of Oregon in conjunction with Great Vow Monastery offers meditation sittings, retreats, Buddhist services
- Zen Center of Portland meditation sittings, retreats, Buddhist services
- Breitenbush Hot Springs Retreat & Conference Center for a variety of workshops and retreats; you may also book your own
- Cloud Mountain is a nonsectarian Buddhist center offering meditation retreats from various traditions
- Northwest Vipassana Center for Buddhist meditation retreats
- Portland Mindfulness offers secular sittings hosted by a licensed psychologist. Pay according to your means and a slide values-based fee
App and Online Resources
- ACT Companion is an app offering tools for tracking valued action, and mindfulness recordings
- Calm focus on reducing anxiety and sleeping better
- Conscious delivers daily mindfulness experiments (also on iTunes)
- HeadSpace delivers daily guided meditations online or via mobile app
- The Mindfulness App guided meditations focusing on the body (includes a special app for pregnant couples) and developing compassion
- Mindfulness Apps a collection of meditation and mindfulness apps for managing anxiety
- Mindfulness Daily offers daily exercises to help build a practice in just a few minutes a day
- I-Here-Now is an ACT and mindfulness app for managing anxiety and increasing wellbeing
- Living Zen Podcast delivers recorded talks about Zen and mindfulness online, via podcast, or mobile app
- Stop, Breathe & Think asks for your current feelings and suggest matching guided meditations
- UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center offers guided mindfulness meditation exercises online
- Full Catastrophe Living by Jon Kabat-Zinn
- Ikigai by Hector Garcia and Francesc Miralles
- Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante Gunaratana (free partial text online)
* While community support can be a great way to cultivate healthy habits, please be advised that The Benchmark Clinic of Integrative Medicine is not affiliated with these organizations, and does not vouch for their quality. Patients should contact these organizations yourself to determine whether they are a good fit for you.